One of the things I’ve had a lot of fun with since moving to London is learning about British brands. It feels like there are more chic yet affordable stores here than in the states. Today I’m sharing my favorite places to shop on a budget in London!
TOP 5 AFFORDABLE BRITISH BRANDS
- Marks & Spencer: M&S is probably my favorite place to grab quality pieces for great prices. I like to call it the Target of England, because they sell everything from clothes to food to home goods. I particularly love them for workwear pieces (the tan trousers I’m wearing in this post are M&S), but I’ve also found some great basics as well as the most gorgeous genuine leather bag that I wear ALL the time.
- River Island: I really love River Island when I’m looking for something that’s super trendy, but not ready to commit to anything too expensive. You definitely have spend some time scouring their site/ stores for the best pieces, but it’s worth it when you find a great designer dupe for less!
- New Look: The best boots I’ve purchased all winter are from New Look for a whopping £20. Seriously, I’ve worn them all over NYC, London and Amsterdam in rain and shine. I love them so much I’ve seriously considered purchasing a back up pair for next winter! Similar to RI, this store requires a bit of patience and browsing to find the great deals.
- Topshop: I know that Topshop has become a household name in the states, but believe me when I say it’s 10x better here. Not only is it significantly less expensive, but there’s a nicer selection of products as well. It makes sense since it’s a British brand – I always find that stores are cheaper and offer a wider range of products in their home country. For example, J.Crew is terrible over here!
- Primark: I feel like Primark can sometimes get some shade because it’s just SO cheap, but in my opinion that’s the beauty of it! You’re not going to go there for something that will last you a lifetime, but it’s a great place to shop for things you don’t want to drop a lot of cash on (for example, outfits for a festival or cute boots to wear in the rain). I recently went to the one in Westfield and picked up a pair of Dr. Martens-esque cream boots for £7. Yes, you read that right.
Have you ever shopped from any of these affordable British brands? Which one is your fave??
Photos by Allie Provost