I’ve been to Nantucket enough times in my life that I feel pretty comfortable writing about what to do and where to eat on the island. If you’re visiting for the first time, it can be definitely be overwhelming! There is SO much to see on such a small island (fun fact: Nantucket is only 5 miles wide at it’s largest width!), that it can be hard to narrow it down. I’ve rounded up what are, in my opinion, the top 12 things you should do during your trip. Be sure to bookmark this post if you are planning a trip to ACK this summer, its packed with some great info!
12 MUST DO ACTIVITIES ON NANTUCKET
- Grab an iced coffee from Handlebar Cafe, and then walk to Stubby’s for breakfast sandwiches (the biscuits will change your life). You can grab them to go and eat overlooking the harbor!
- Rent scooters (or a bike if you’re down for a 15 mile bike ride) and head to ‘Sconset for an afternoon. This is where everyone you follow on Instagram gets those gorgeous hydrangea shots.
- Head to Cisco Brewery for an afternoon of food trucks, live music, and local beer. It’s probably my favorite thing to do while we’re there! It’s such a fun atmosphere, and they allow dogs!! What could be better than puppies and beer?!
- Rainy day? Check out the Whaling Museum. It’s dedicated to – you guessed it – the history of whaling! While it might not sound too exciting, it’s actually pretty interesting and a great thing to do if the weather is gloomy (not gonna lie, I was half expecting to see Emily Gilmore there LOL. Any Gilmore Girls fans know what I’m talking about?!).
- Grab a pack of Fishers Island Lemonade and a yummy sandwich from Fresh before heading to Jetties Beach for an afternoon of fun in the sun. This beach is on the bay side of the island, so the water is warmer and more calm. Looking for something more adventurous? Cisco Beach is about a 30 minute bike ride from town, and is known as a popular surfing spot!
- Enjoy a sunset dinner at Galley Beach. Connor and I don’t usually like these types of pricey “hot spots”, but Galley Beach is worth every penny. The sunset views alone are incredible, and the food is arguably the best on the island. Be sure to bring your camera, because you will definitely want to snap pics as the sun goes down!
- Shop the local boutiques. This is a huge DUH, but there are tons of stores on the island so I thought I would share my faves. Be sure you check out Skinny Dip Nantucket, SHiFT, Nantucket Whaler, Peter Beaton, and Murray’s (this one is great for the guys too!).
- Head to The Chicken Box one night after dinner and enjoy drinks, live music, and dancing. I recommend following up a night at The Box with #1 😉
- Get the lobster roll at Cru Nantucket. You can thank me after.
- Go on a sailing tour of the island. I highly recommend Endeavor Sailing – learn about Nantucket’s maritime history while sipping a glass of rosé (it’s BYOB!!).
- Check out the lighthouses. Brant Point Light is just a 10 minute walk from town, and if you’re down for a mini day trip, Sankaty Head Light is seriously Instagrammable.
- Last but certainly not least – get a waffle cone from The Juice Bar!! I’m not even exaggerating when I say that you can smell the cones from a block away. You can watch them make the waffle cones fresh, and they serve them hot!! There’s almost always a line, but trust me when I say it moves quickly, and is worth it!
I hope this post is helpful for those of you interested in traveling to Nantucket! If you can’t tell from my enthusiasm, I’m honestly so in love with this island and it’s hands down my favorite trip of the summer. I’m already looking forward to my next trip!