I know what you’re thinking… Pastels? For summer? Yep, you read that right. These dreamy hues aren’t just for the Easter Bunny anymore. I think pastels can be worn YEAR ROUND, and this is my first installment in a series I’ll be sharing throughout the year on how to style pastels for any season. First up, summer.
How to Wear Pastels in Summer
- Pick one color, such as pink, and wear varying shades of it. For example, I love this pastel pink sweater with these bright pink shorts. Adding in the brighter shades keeps the look fresh for the season, and is a great way to transition spring pastels into summer.
- Add a tomboy element. A surefire way to keep from looking like an Easter Egg is to add something edgier to the mix. Here I paired my flowing baby blue tunic with ripped boyfriend shorts and sneakers – denim is a great way to keep pastels from getting too sweet.
- Wear it in a gingham print. Gingham is probably my favorite pattern of the summer, and while I love a classic navy or red, why not try the print in a pastel hue? This pink shirtdress is in my shopping cart, and I almost wore this gorgeous baby blue OTS number to the Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic this past Saturday.
- Look for something in a sleek silhouette. Sherbet shades don’t have to be childish – this slip dress is simple, elegant, and a totally grown-up take on pastels.
- Not 100% sure if pastels are for you? Accessories are a great way to dip your toes in the trend. A chic pair of yellow slides or a cute light pink clutch are great options for experimenting with sweeter colors.
What do you guys think? Would you wear pastels in the summer? Let me know in the comments!